Director of Flight Operations
Location: Mesa, AZ
Reports to: Vice President of Operations
FLSA Status: Exempt
Staff Supervisory Responsibilities: Yes
Summary: Responsible for the strategic planning, scheduling, and safe execution of the Company’s Flight Operations to enhance profitability, productivity and efficiency. Also maintains ability to perform pilot duties, as required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Primarly responsible for all Company flight activities, including the following:
- Provides overall guidance to pilots and pilots-in-training concerning operational requirements, safety, policies and procedures.
- Oversees daily flight scheduling, student control and airspace management.
- Development of training syllabus and curriculum, ground training courses, standardization policies and procedures, simulator development and safety for training and other flight services to meet training and customer requirements/desires.
- Responsible for developing all standard operating procedures and providing daily operational decisions associated with aircraft operations locally and when deployed.
- Provides input/guidance to Management in areas involving operational capabilities and requirements.
- As needed, provides sales and marketing input and travels, as necessary, to assist in sales and marketing issues.
- Interacts regularly with executive team and individual department heads to ensure that Company’s operational priorities are aligned with overall Company direction and objectives.
- Reviews all Operation’s documents to ensure compliance with Company and government policies and procedures.
- Continually investigates and introduces process improvement measures and presents suggestions to the VP of Operations for consideration.
- Coordinate with HR the hiring of pilot and other operations staff;
- Maintains aspects of the Profit and Loss responsibility, specifically related to oversight of Flight Ops budget, including pilots;
- Oversee the operations coordination functions, which have an impact on operational control (e.g. maintenance, crew scheduling, load control, equipment scheduling);
- Manage qualifications of flight operations personnel and of flight crews;
- Ensure that crew scheduling complies with flight and duty time regulations;
- Implement Defense Contract Management Agency (DCMA) and CFR compliant procedures; and
- As delegated by the VP of Operations, authorize local flying per the COM and FAA rules;
- Supervise flight crews from an administrative point of view (leave approvals, expense approvals, salaries, general work environment & conditions, etc.)
- Overall supervision of Flight Ops, ensuring schedule is optimized at all times;
- Support Flight Safety, OHS, Quality Management Systems and Safety Management Systems.
You will have the following responsibilities in order to comply with the company's Occupational Health and Safety program. As a Manager/Supervisor, you are responsible for:
- Providing a safe and healthy workplace including the necessary equipment, systems, and tools which are properly maintained
- Providing information, training, instruction and supervision to protect the Occupational Health and Safety of employees
- Ensuring employees under your direction know and comply with Occupational Health and Safety requirementsWorks directly with hiring managers on recruiting needs and creates and finalizes applicable job descriptions.
- Ensuring employees under your direction receive adequate supervision.
- Establishing, supporting, and consulting with OHS committees and Workplace Occupational Health and Safety representatives on all matters to improve workplace OHS, including regular safety inspections of the workplace.
- To reduce product and ‘safety of flight’ risks to an acceptable level, you must actively participate in the TAC Safety Management System (SMS) which includes:
- Communication of safety risks to employees and their roles and responsibilities related to these risks.
- Continuous improvement of Top Aces Corp. Safety Management System and risk controls.
- Compliance with applicable safety laws and regulations.
- Management of change.
- Maintain compliance with all FAA and TAC Company policies with respect to pilot certification, licensing, and registration.
As an Instructor Pilot, you would be responsible for:
- Maintaining operational safety at all times by assessing and mitigating risks to TAC equipment, personnel and reputation.
- Maintain Pilot license/certification, medical certification, and COM required currencies.
- 100% compliance with applicable FAA and/or DOD regulations and training rules.
- Conduct operations in accordance with TAC’s COM, AFM and SOPs. Deviations from established procedures should only occur for reasons of safety.
- Professional, polite, proficient combat support in accordance with customer defined requirements.
- Communicate any issues (knowledge, systems, procedures, proficiency, support) that impact your ability to accomplish the above.
- Promptly communicate any incident that results in, or had a high probability of resulting in: damage, injury, significant positive/negative perception by the customer, or media attention.
- Support engagement of other TAC employees through positive, proactive leadership…
If/when on detachment, you have responsibility to:
- Provide proactive coordination prior to detachment to include participation in pre-detachment teleconferences.
- Act as in-situation liaison with Customer to define mission requirements / schedule, and manage operational issues.
- Oversee operational control of TAC detachment personnel & a/c.
- Supervise execution of daily flying program.
- Produce sortie reports and daily SitRep, account for Company and forward fuel receipts.
- Must be able to work under pressure and meet deadlines, while maintaining a positive attitude and providing exemplary customer service.
- Ability to work independently and to carry out assignments to completion within parameters of instructions given, prescribed routines, and standard accepted practices.
- Perform related duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Maintain compliance with all company policies and procedures.
Skills and/or Qualifications
- Strong experience in examining and re-engineering flight operations and procedures, formulating policy and developing and implementing new strategies and procedures for the success of the Company.
- Ability to make sound administrative and procedural decisions and judgments.
- Ability to foster a cooperative work environment. Ability to plan, develop and coordinate multiple projects.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including ability to effectively communicate with internal and external customers
- Excellent computer proficiency (MS Office – Word, Excel and Outlook)
Certifications, Licenses, Registrations
- Valid FAA Pilot Certificate: Commercial or Airline Transport Pilot
- If flying the F-16 (or any single engine aircraft for hire): Must have commercial privileges SEL, specifically designated on the certificate.
- Valid Class I or II FAA Medical Certificate
- Maintain compliance with all company policies and procedures
Education and/or Work Experience
- Bachelor’s degree; Minimum 15 year’s related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Mandatory: F-16 Fighter qualified (2000+ fighter hours) with recent flying history
- Mandatory: Extensive USAF or USN fighter operations experience at Wing level or above
- Highly Desired: Previous Squadron Commander
- Highly Desired: USAF WIC graduate or USN Top Gun Graduate
- Highly Desired: USAF/USN Aggressor qualified pilot
- Knowledge of government contracting is required.
- Knowledge of FAA Part 135 and 91 operations limitations required.
- Knowledge of Public Air Operations (PAO) and Civil Air Operations (CAO) required.High school diploma or GED required
Physical RequirementsWhile performing duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, sit, talk, walk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. This position requires close vision, distant vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The employee is required to regularly work in both office and outside weather environments. The employee frequently works near moving mechanical parts and vibrations, and is frequently exposed to very hot or cold, wet or humid conditions. The employee occasionally works in high, precarious places and is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, and risks of electrical shock. The noise level is occasionally very loud.
These physical demands and work conditions are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA and other federal, state and local standards, including meeting qualitative and/or quantitative productivity standards.
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with the ADA, FMLA and other federal, state and local standards
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
- Must be able to talk, listen and speak clearly on telephone
Special Work Conditions
- Applicants selected may be subject to a Government security investigation and must meet the eligibility requirements to be cleared for and to gain access to applicable classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. nationals or permanent residents (Green Card).
This description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work being performed by employees working in this position and within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Apply for the position
Interested applicants should forward their resume to the HR Department via email at email@example.com.
While we thank all applicants for their employment interest in Top Aces Corp., only those who best match our requirements will be contacted.